Friday, October 2, 2009

Spats, Spats, and More Spats!!

WHAT IS A SPAT?

Spats are a type of shoe accessory covering the instep and ankle. They were primarily worn in the late 19th and early 20 th centuries. Originally they were made of leather. Those for horseback riding continue to be made of leather. They can be made of any and all materials, a few examples are wool, polyester, and canvas.

Traditionally they are used as an accessory in marching band uniforms, pipe bands, in various militaries, and in everyday clerical clothing. They are also used for safety reasons in certain industries such as, in foundries, by welders, and even chainsaw operators.

WHY DO I MAKE THEM?

I am inspired by that lovely feeling of completing a three piece men's tailored suit! Or even the completion of a corset. I refer to my spats as, " little mini corset's for ones ankles. " I love to incorporate various classic tailoring and corseting techniques !

A pair of nicely tailored spats can add so much more to one's shoe collection! You can completely change the look and feel of your overall outfit! And when the cold weather comes around you can continue to use your summer shoes year round! I continue to get inspired by glancing though Italian fashion magazines!

MY 15TH PAIR!

This morning I completed and posted my fifteenth pair in my Etsy shop! Eighty percent of their construction is using hand-stitching. The lining and outer wool's, center back and front seams are machine stitched.

Navy Blue & Black Spats- Monjio

I have used a beautiful black Italian wool. Individually I have hand-stitched fourteen silver metal loops for the lacing closure. I love incorporating the lacing closure into various pairs because it allows them to be more versatile. They can be used over a variety of shoes and boots!

Inner side of foot view.

I have a great passion for traditional military uniforms with elaborate amazing decoration!

Of course I will continue to make more! I have an ongoing research and sketchbook with many other designs and styles ready to go!

Each pair is amazingly unique, and I never make the same pair twice! The assortment of styles allow for wear of shoes with heels, or without. To see the other fourteen pair, please stop by and take a look at my shop!

P.S. I always enjoy working one on one with a client for the creation of a one of a kind personalized pair of spats!





Bing™ brings you maps, menus, and reviews organized in one place. Try it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment